Castell de Bunyol Surroundings
ABS EX TRAC
Bunyol (València), 2011
I Competition <40 Paisea | Castell de Bunyol Surroundings
THE CASTLE IS LANDSCAPE
Bunyol Castle is and has always been a constant and identifying presence for the city, always marks the orientation and defines Bunyol’s visual landscape.
The castle entity is enough to shape its own identity, therefore, following the historic logic of urban generation of the town, the castle will determine what this intervention will be.
A NEW PERCEPTION, THE EXTENSION OF THE CASTLE
This intervention is based on the strengthening of the perception of the castle from the town.
It is proposed to extend the castle to Bunyol, multiplying its presence, as recognizable trails towards it. For this reason, it has been working to integrate two points of view of completely different scales:
– The observer immersed in the urban density, visualizing a fragmented landscape (in which, often, the castle does not appear in the visual frame)
* A new visual framework that leads to the castle is generated, a new landscape lying along the streets that lead to it, acting as the emitter of the castle itself
– The observer alone, contemplative of a totalitarian landscape
* Increasing the perception of the castle 24 hours a day, the castle becomes a new point of reference for the city, always present, a new landscape reference that reflects the marks of its history
THE ABSTRACTION OF THE CASTLE AS A SYSTEM
The systematic extension of the castle is intimately linked to its identity, in order to always be able to carry out the association of the route with the castle. Therefore, it has been done a work of abstraction of the qualities of the castle that will allow its recognition in the moment of situation in the zones defined as routes to the castle.
The definition of the visual frame within the route itself is determined by two plans:
– lower plane: an abstraction of the constant element always present throughout the castle: pavements.
* The lines that contain the present pavements will be extended, like arrows, in all the route, guiding towards the castle; also by means of a new pavement of small pieces of ceramics in fish thorn shape (abstraction of the Arab origin of the castle) of native origin and marking the direction towards the castle
– upper plane: a new driving path towards the castle is proposed, which joins the two working stairs under the same common point: lighting.
* The castle will be illuminated with low power systems (led) that will provide a new showing off. This illumination will extend in the upper plane of the new routes, degrading towards the end.
THE PROLONGATION OF THE ESSENCE OF THE CASTLE
the abstraction of the essence of the castle precipitates on Buñol
Due to its quality as the landscape identity of Bunyol, the conservation of its image is proposed, showing in its surroundings (immediate, being able to be extrapolated to the whole town), extending its routes, as recognizable points towards the castle and enhancing the visuals of it
The existing pavements of the castle are abstracted to define the new ones. The continuation of this great carpet is considered adapting to the limits of the spaces that contain it.
The free spaces inside the castle are neutral, in order to give the castle the highest importance.
THE CASTLE (AND ITS EXTENSIONS), A NEW LANDSCAPE
led lighting of variable color is born from the castle prolonged by the city
It’S adaptED to the color of the city, tuning with its perception
The castle regains its presence during the day through a new illumination, the same that extends through the planned routes, which is variable in colors and intensity
In the proposed routes, the castle extends through the city with its own aurea of light that fades as the prolongation ends. It is divided into led tubular luminaires, which can reproduce the lighting characteristics of the castle, focusing more intensely on how close to the castle they are, and vice versa. Several cables are hanging, such as in the historic center of Bunyol, so that the light is reproduced as a line that indicates the direction towards the castle, suspended in the air, imitating the appearance of the castle with respect to the city as floating in its landscape
THE PHYSICAL PERCEPTION OF THE CASTLE, THE NEW ROUTES FOR ALL
Getting a castle for everyone was our goal
With the proposal of two new doors for the castle democratize its routes
An elevator, with direct access to the place of arms and with arrival at the end of the pit, is incorporated giving continuity (accessible) to the route begun at the Parc de Borrunes, which would otherwise be without access to the castle
Another lift is also considered, to solve the stairs that rise from the junction of the streets Candeilejo, Mallorquins and General Palafox, as well as the possibility of enjoying a new dynamic point of view of it